Friday, February 18, 2011

WTF @ CWC?...


I’m not a big fan of Cricket but I support my country in every way possible. Oh yes, you know what I’m talking about… Cricket World Cup is here. And the Opening Ceremony was… kind of OK!?!

I’m a HUGE fan of Opening Ceremonies and Closing Ceremonies of sports events. These are just absolute wonderful pieces of art, showing the culture, heritage of the said country. It seems as though this doesn’t apply to South Asian region. Alright let’s not just go that far… It doesn’t apply to Sri Lanka more specifically.

I first experienced our lack of pride towards the country’s heritage at sports events when “Ladaki badi” (or whatever it was called) played and teeny-tiny kids danced sensually (bad word, couldn’t find anything else) to it. I mean, Come-on? We chose to play a 'Hindi' song at a 'Sri Lankan' (organized) sports festival. This isn’t even a local event. An entire region was watching. Indians must have been laughing their @$$es-off in India.

And now this. A song for a sports event should make our team proud of what they are about to do. It should be motivational and give off a sense of honor. Turn on your TV at 10am. You’ll hear dozens of songs written and performed specifically for the Cricket World Cup. Only few are worthy. Other songs are just pieces of garbage. What drug were they on when they wrote the songs?

Yesterday… BnS… What happened dudes? You guys are my heroes. I looked up to you. You have changed the Sri Lankan music industry (in a good way). But what-in-the-world has happened to you now? Your Cricket song is not a song… it’s a friking commercial for “Koththu-Me”. And what were you doing yesterday at the Opening Ceremony? I’ve seen trained monkeys perform better (seriously, I have).

South Asian Countries, Google “Asian Games 2010 Opening/Closing Ceremony China” and learn. Period!

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree dude.. and may be we could include the WTFery of not allowing Papares and Placards inside grounds too. LOL
    BTW its South Asia, not South East Asia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia#Divisions

    ReplyDelete