Saturday, November 1, 2014

From The Eyes Of A Best-man...


Weddings are wonderful things. So many emotions. For some it can be a terrifying experience as well. Who are they? Well, the people who are appointed to make a speech actually. Because that speech is for a lifetime.

As my friends would know me, I’m a fellow who doesn’t pay much attention to the world around me. So naturally, I’m the last person in the world to do a speech like this. But, now I can…

When I was asked to be a Best-Man at Eranda’s wedding it was rather flattering. Eranda is not a friend… he’s a brother. And being the best-man at his wedding is quite an honor. I met Eranda back in 2008 probably. He was in a Drama at NIBM. But we became friends in 2009 and he was always out there for me. Keeping me out of trouble, guiding me through difficult times, being there for me when I needed the most and making me a better man. So, now you see why I addressed him as a brother. Before he met Dulani, he was very tough, very strict and no-nonsense kind of fellow. But by the time end of 2013, he was a guy who was even smiling to himself. He was happier than I ever knew him.

It was because of Eranda and Dulani that I believed in a little something called Destiny. I’m glad to be a part of their meetup. Dulani was never meant to go into the same project as Eranda. It was a mistake by me… by a pure accident and I accidentally interviewed Dulani for the project where Eranda was. But that is a one mistake I’m glad I made.

Anyway, here we are… on their wedding day. The thing is, I’m suppose to wish them. But when I saw Dulani walking into the hall today, clutching the hand of her father, I saw something; Her face. It was all set, without a single worry, so confident about her life ahead with Eranda. And on that moment I knew my wish was worthless; it is not needed. Dulani knew Eranda would take care of her for the rest of her life, Eranda knew his life is complete with Dulani. So what do they need with my wish? Their whishes are already fulfilled.

Never-the-less, I wish them all the very best. May they live long and prosper.

And one more thing… I think they’ll become great parents as well. Do you know why I say that? Well, both of them had a very good practice by taking care of a big baby like me. So, a little tyke is no big deal.

Photo Credit: Ruwanthi Abeywickrama

No comments:

Post a Comment